Friday, June 09, 2006

U.S. & Iran: The Importance of Slowing Down

Last month I made a little faux pas getting off my motorcycle while parking on a San Franciscan hill. SV650s can be exhiliarating, but they don't feel very good when they're pinning you to the asphalt. For a month I had to take it easy with a cast and crutches, moving at the speed of pathetic and being forced to have longer than usual conversations with EVERYONE. (Read: the pain was not in my foot). Little did I know this was the ideal preparation for my trip to Iran.

Walking to the beat of a newfound slower rhythm, I'm taking more time than usual to engage Iranians, find a common ground to discuss and build upon until their eyes are comfortable to reveal what's behind them. By shedding my American pace of going-nowhere-fast, I'm going further and realizing others on a deeper level.

Why am I sharing this? Because it's made me fully believe that a slower approach is the key to successful negotiations between the U.S., Iran, and the world when it comes to the issues being faced today. There is not one perfect strategy, there is only method, and with a slower negotiation method we can all understand each other's cultures and perspectives more wholly before making world-altering decisions too hastily (as we did with Iraq and Afghanistan).

On the other hand, what do I know? I'm now wearing this black moonboot and using a cane to cross the streets of Tehran - and you'd better believe that slow ain't my method - it's all strategy!

5 Comments:

Blogger Winston said...

Nice of you blogging from Iran, but may I ask you what you think of Iranian regime?

It might be a good question to start knowing you and your intentions better!

Thnx

10:33 PM  
Blogger Sian Taylor Gowan said...

Sob be kheir Winston,
I am purposely not discussing sensitive political or religious issues on this blog. I'm more interested in revealing the softer cultural aspects of this great country to help people to see how similar we all are. That is my intention!
~Sian

11:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love it, reading it daily, keep them coming. I never knew you could write so well! tell us about the food!

8:34 AM  
Blogger Winston said...

fine!

11:22 AM  
Blogger amir said...

hi sian,
have to say you're brave for taking on iran... once a great little place and people. still great people to be sure... only under extreme hardships everyone beings to lose luster... and an outmoded culture begins to stink when it's closed down so much. the iranian dilemma isn't any longer what outsiders think of us, it's how we see ourselves. i recently returned from a 6-month stay there -- and sorry to say never been more disappointed with "ourselves." The longer i stayed, the worst it seemed. an ancient, engrained culture IS a heavy burden to carry in an evolving world. good luck and ... don't stay too long!!

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home