Saturday, June 17, 2006

Paris Is Burning In Iran

It’s difficult to keep up with current events when you’re on vacation. Thank goodness for satellite television. How else would I know that the anti-talented Paris Hilton is now a (post-produced) singer with a salacious black and white music video that screams sex.

Sitting on the sofa watching this with three well-educated young Iranian women, I was pretty embarrassed when they asked me what American women think of her. I don’t mind the Barbies of this world – they fill a basic need – but I don’t want this Barbie representing American culture to Iranian women. She has empty eyes and such an aura of selfishness. Why can’t this ditz belong to some other country?

It bothers me to think of women in other cultures assuming that this half-wit is what Americans idealize. Her empty-headed beauty is so yesterday and not a worthy representation of sexy women in American culture today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home